Solicitor, England and Wales
Attorney, State of Louisiana
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
Notary Public, Parish of Orleans, State of Louisiana
Expert Witness, The Round Table Group, Washington, D.C.
Icondia Ltd, Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK; New Orleans, LA
2015 – present Chief Legal Officer
2012 – 2015 Chief Knowledge Officer
Member of the Board of Directors
Registered Personality and Image Rights
- Fashion Week: New Personalities emerge from Established Names, IALCI Publications (9 May 2015) available at https://ialci.org/news/fashion-week-new-personalities-emerge-from-established-names/
- A Leap Forward in Protecting Personalities and Brands, Dead or Alive?, Inside Licensing (25 January 2015)
Mickey Mouse wants to live forever: The Guernsey Image Rights Ordinance may allow that, European Intellectual Property Review (July, 2013)
- Various articles on the subject of Registered Personalities and Image Rights at Icondia Ltd, Guernsey available at http://www.icondia.com/library/
- Keynote Radio Interview and International Broadcast: Publicity rights have been at the center of controversy in Korea on numerous occasions. This issue was considered in an edition of the Korean radio station eFM’s ‘Primetime’ program, broadcast on 25 March 2015. It is available here: http://www.icondia.com/library/personality-rights-a-korean-perspective/
- Invited Researcher and Speaker: Trade Mark Dilution, Right of Publicity, Image Rights: A Comparative Analysis of Japanese, Australian, UK, and US Law. Japanese Institute for Intellectual Property, Tokyo, Japan, 27 February 2014
- Invited Participant: Breaking In and Out of Character: IP Protection for Betty Boop, Sherlock Holmes, and other fictional characters, IP, Internet, New Media Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, Los Angeles, California, USA. 13 November 2013
- Invited Speaker: Image Rights: A New Way to Protect Celebrity, Irvine Valley School of Business Sciences, Irvine, California, USA. 15 October 2013 & 12 November 2013
- Keynote Speaker: The Future of Intellectual Property: Image Rights, Korean Intellectual Property Office & Korean Institute for Intellectual Property Annual Conference, Seoul, Korea, 4 July 2013
- Keynote Speaker: Image Rights for Avatars, Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom, 11 February 2013 & London, United Kingdom, 7 February 2013
2011 – 2013 Southern Cross University, School of Law & Justice
Senior Lecturer in Law Justice
Lismore, NSW, Australia
- Unit Assessor: Intellectual Property, Criminal Law (NSW & QLD), Information Technology Law, Entertainment Law, Property Law (NSW), Commercial Law, Stock Market and Finance Law
- Honours Supervisor: Information Technology Law, Criminal Law
- PhD Supervisor: Intellectual Property Law
- Director of Research (2011/12), Meet the Staff at SCU: http://discover-archive.scu.edu.au/2011/issue11/
- PhD Examiner, Deakin University, School of Law: Virtual Reality and Criminal Law
- PhD Examiner, Monash University, School of Law: E-Commerce & Jurisdiction
- External Examiner for the University of Hertfordshire (2007 – 2011)
2007 – present Pathfinder Team Consulting (http://www.pathfinder-consulting.com)
Consultant: Intellectual Property, Economic Development and Energy Law
- Keynote Radio Interview and International Broadcast: Smallman on Star Radio (UK). David Smallman hosts “Smallman – Making sense of Business” a Profile Interview highlighting international intellectual property practices for SMEs and the new Guernsey Image Rights Law; Smallman on Star Week 70 podcast at http://www.star107.co.uk
- Keynote Speaker: Intellectual Property for the Digital Age at the Northampton Portfolio Innovation, Northampton, United Kingdom, 22 September, 2009
- Keynote Speaker: BBC Radio Northampton Live Interview on 10 September 2009 promoting Portfolio Innovation Expert Access 09 events on 22 September 2009.
2008 – 2010 Bournemouth University, Executive Business School
Centre for Intellectual Property Policy & Management
Senior Lecturer in Business Law
- Unit Assessor: Contract Law (UG), International Trade (UG – H), International Intellectual Property Rights (PG), Intellectual Property Law and Practice (UG – H), Commercial Law and Transactions (UG – H), Contract Law (CPE & DL Business UG), International Economic Law (PG), Intellectual Property Exploitation (PG)
- Masters Dissertations Coordinator and Supervisor
- Postgraduate Framework Leader in Law
- Course Developer of new LLM/MSc in Intellectual Property Management
- Member of Internationalisation Team for AMBA accreditation
- External Examiner for the University of Hertfordshire LLM programmes in the UK and Greece
- Representative, University Network Research Sessions at OHIM, Alicante, Spain
- Research Fellow, Centre for Intellectual Property Policy and Management
2009 Bournemouth & Poole College, Higher Education
Locum Lecturer: Contract Law for Institute of Legal Executive Education
2005 – 2008 Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen Business School
Module Leader: International Business Law (PG), Cyber-liability (PG), Reparation Law & Evidence (PG), Oil and Gas Contract Law (PG), Advanced Oil & Gas Law (PG), International Commercial Dispute Resolution (PG), U.K. Oil & Gas Law (PG & UG – H), Aspects of European Business Law (UG), Scots Commercial Law (UG), International Trade Law (UG – H), Intellectual Property Law (UG – H), Public International Law (UG -H)
• Course Developer and Leader, LLM/MSc International Oil & Gas Law (2006-2008)
• Coach, Jessup Moot Court team (2005-2008)
• Placement Supervisor
• External Examiner for the University of Hertfordshire LLM programmes in the UK and Greece
Short Course Production & Delivery:
• International Oil & Gas Contracts for EuroMoney Legal Training,
• International Oil & Gas for PDVSA (Venezuelan National Oil Company,
2004 – 2010 Queen Mary, University of London
Institute of Computer and Communications Law, Centre for Commercial Law Studies
Distance Learning Tutor & Dissertation Supervisor (LLM programmes)
Course module author: Trademarks and Domain Names; Digital Rights Management; Intellectual Property Foundations; Protecting Computer Software
• Developed interactive on-line Introduction to Law programme for non-lawyers.
• A research report commissioned by the Information Tribunal to provide material to support its function in reviewing decisions made by the Information Commissioner concerning the application of the ‘prejudice’ and ‘public interest’ tests. The research is comparative in nature, examining decisions made by the Parliamentary Ombudsman, under the ‘Code of Practice on Access to Government Information’, which was operable until the FOIA came into force; as well as other common law jurisdictions, specifically, Ireland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States.
• Computer Law: Patent Protection for Computer-Related Invention
• International Banking: Academic Legal Writing Seminar (authored materials)
2004 – 2007 University of London, External LLM programme
Author: International and Comparative Law of Patents, Trade Secrets and Related Rights; and Intellectual Property on the Internet
2005 Hong Kong University School of Professional and Continuing Education
Course: Intellectual Property on the Internet
2004 – 2005 iSentry Limited, London, England
In House Counsel
Intellectual property counsel for start-up information-technology company. Coordinated all intellectual property rights. Drafted licensing agreements, reseller agreements, and other contractual arrangements. Monitored anti-money laundering and data protection legislation.
2004 Daniel Berman & Co., London, England
Firm specialising in complex criminal litigation. Coordinated electronic evidence.
1998 – 2002 Law Offices of John J. Sullivan, New Orleans, Louisiana
Senior Associate Attorney
Senior Associate Attorney of well-established law firm specializing in small business corporate work, intellectual property, estate planning and personal injury litigation. Independently managed client caseload, from initial intake through legal research, and submission of legal documents, coordination with third parties, and dispute resolution. Incorporated small businesses and dealt with all related matters. Prepared intellectual property documents. Drafted and submitted pleadings and motions to State and Federal courts. Negotiated with insurance companies to facilitate payment obligations. Prepared wills, trusts and other estate documents.
1996 – 1998 (while attending law school)
Law Offices of John J. Sullivan, New Orleans, Louisiana
Personal Legal Assistant
Two years of intense experience drafting, preparing and submitting pleadings and appeals to State and Federal courts. Developed legal research skills and expanded use of technology-based legal research tools. Developed and implemented new client intake and maintenance systems. Created client database and updated all client documentation, records and reports.
1996 to 1997 (while attending law school)
Law Offices of C. Gary Wainwright, New Orleans, Louisiana
Extensive legal research and writing projects for a criminal defense attorney.
Summer 1996 (while attending law school)
Harry Connick, Sr., District Attorney for Orleans Parish, New Orleans, Louisiana
Responsible for preliminary legal research and drafting of legal documents. Organized evidence, notified witnesses and assisted staff of district attorneys with administrative functions.
PREVIOUS PROFESSIONAL MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE: (1990 – 1995)
International hotel management career with first line responsibility in administration and client relations.